- Quality All Aluminum/stainless steel.
- Truly One-handed tearing of sheets.
- Now in Black, Bronze, Brass, Chrome, or Nickel.
- Adjustable Resistance for your paper brand and ply.
- Installs easily, no drilling necessary.
- Change rolls easily.
- Good Product for folks with limited dexterity.
- Phone holder.
- Made in the USA.
PolarityGear refers to the patent pending use of magnetic discs to provide resistance to help tear sheets with one hand. North and South poles (Polarity) around the outside of these amazing magnets create a unique feel when you pull the paper. It’s sort of a pulsing resistance that causes a tear when you pull slightly harder.
The dial on the side adjusts for proper resistance to ensure a quality experience for various paper brands and ply.
Toilet paper is a $10 Billion dollar industry in the USA. Finally there’s a worthy holder for it.
Kickstarter Now through January!
Kickstarter page: http://kck.st/2CG9efg
Black, Bronze, Brass, Chrome, and Nickel with a satin finish are available to all backers. The base plate is Powder Coated for a superior finished look.
Choose from over 6,500 different colors (Prismatic Powders) and we will order and apply that exact match on your aluminum base and the adjustment dial. Prismatic Powders will even let you send in a sample and they will do their best to match it. Custom colors cost more.
The Phone Holder
Apparently, phones falling into toilets is a thing. And apparently folks don’t always have pockets or a place to set them.
The machined aluminum internal parts are anodized black. The base plate is made of 3/16 inch thick, incredibly strong aluminum and is beautifully powder coated. (Powder coating is the process that involves a “baked-on” coating for things like home appliances and bicycles, etc. It is superior in coverage and finish and tougher than conventional paint.) The customized colors (from Prismaticpowders) are more pricey because we have to special order a minimum quantity of the color and schedule additional time to apply it. You can choose from over 6,500 colors!
Quality, Style, and Function, nothing less would do. We started from scratch and went through many different types of designs incorporating many different types of materials. We wanted a completely new bold look to show quality and style. No thin metal or plastic disguised as metal. We like aluminum plate, a term for really thick metal. We wanted to show that this item was formed from a single piece of metal. The plate material is perfect for the functional aspects too, with cavities used for the mechanics.
Eric’s Video about how the design came about: https://youtu.be/aitGh5M9_Bc
The distance between the magnets affects the amount of resistance applied to the roll. In other words, the closer together the magnets are the harder it is to turn the roll. If you couldn’t fine tune this resistant force, the holder might not work well for type of roll you like to buy. The setting has to stay put while the holder is being used. As the roll turns, it wants to self-adjust or drift to the easiest setting. You’ll see how powerful these magnets are! We had several ways of solving the problem, but none better than Eric’s idea to use the teardrop cavities with scalloped edges. It took time fine-tuning it, but we couldn’t be happier with how well it works! We’re not aware of any mechanism like it in anything else.
Our Manufacturing Partners
Manufacturing is key for a project like this. Not only does it benefit businesses and local communities to manufacture here in the USA, it’s easier to communicate and monitor quality. Our partners are all up to the task and have the ability to ramp up and maintain excellent quality. We are eager to get rolling and plan to begin production as soon as the funding goal is met.
Shopping for a toilet paper holder? We will bet you won’t find a single one made in the U.S. of A. Want to support domestic manufacturing? Now is your chance!
Using the provided double-sided adhesive strips will provide a permanent installation. It’s 3M VHB and incredibly strong. The surface needs to be flat, clean and dry. If you do not want something permanent, consider using less adhesive or get the screw-in model.
Why a Toilet Paper Holder?
Tooling costs were too high for a paper towel holder, so we decided to perfect the mechanism and tech with a toilet paper holder version. Our intellectual property encompasses any rolled material, so bigger things will come.
Links and Acknowledgments
- Eric Strebel of Botzen Design was instrumental with the design. This product would not be the same without his help. www.botzen.com
- We are very lucky to have expert machinists as good friends and confidants. Steve Owen: https://www.dmidurango.com/ Ron Andrews: http://kingcage.com/ Eric Tomczak: https://mythcycles.com/
- Artist extraordinaire Peter Campbell came up with the name PolarityGear (TM). Buy real art from a real artist. http://campbellfineart.com
- Evolution Powder Coating is awesome.
- Thanks to Jon at 2180 Lighting and Design Studio for letting us shoot the holder there: http://2180durangodesign.com/
- Want to know more about the magnets? www.polymagnet.com/
- Smarter Every Day video about the magnets: https://youtu.be/IANBoybVApQ
- Most of all, thanks to brother, Charlie. He is greatly appreciated and loved. He tirelessly helped with a previous project and saw the magnets at a tradeshow in 2014 which eventually led to this product.